Tier 2 is the route which enables UK employers to employ nationals from outside the resident workforce to fill particular jobs which cannot be filled by settled workers. This category includes applicants coming to the UK to fill shortage occupations. Any Tier 1 main applicant, any Tier 2 main applicant, Tier 4 student, Tier 5 (Temporary Worker), Dependent partner of a Tier 4 student, Representative of an Overseas Business, Start-up, Innovator applicant can switch to this category.

The role of Tier 2 Sponsor in the UK

Any employer wishing to hire skilled worker must be licensed to sponsor tier 2 workers in the UK.  They must follow all the legal requirements of fair play in hiring foreign workers. They must not put resident workers at disadvantage position while allowing foreign workers. They should issue a valid certificate of sponsorship and Job offer to foreign workers. In attracting foreign workers, Tier 2 sponsor must be responsible for testing Resident Labor Market Test according to the guidance published by home office.

Tier 2 Shortage Occupation list

The UK employer wishing to hire foreign workers must carry Resident Labor Market Test in order to prove that resident workers are not displaced or put in disadvantage position due to incoming foreign workers. The Tier 2 Shortage Occupation list reduces the need to prove Resident Labor Market Test in certain industry and role as published by home office. Resident Labor Market Test mandates certain procedure and requirements to be followed when inducting workers such as advertisement wordings, advertisement placement, and duration and frequency of advertisement for the specified job role.

Minimum Requirement

You must have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organization that is a licensed sponsor in the UK. You must score a minimum of 50 points for Attributes, 10 points for Maintenance and 10 points for English Language Skills.

Condition of Stay

Tier 2 General candidates may not fetch state benefit such as securing public funds for themselves and their family members. They should register with the police and may not work other than their primary and/or secondary employment roles with their sponsors. Candidates can study but they will need to obtain an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate for the course/research and present it to relevant education institution. The education may not interfere with their visa condition.